- Written by: Edward M. Hallowell, John J. Ratey
- Narrated by: Edward M. Hallowell
- Length: 2 hrs and 58 mins
- Format: Abridged
- Audible Ratings: 4.20 (143 ratings)
In 1994, Driven to Distraction sparked a revolution in our understanding of attention deficit disorder. Now a second revolution is under way in the approach to ADD, and the news is great. Drug therapies, our understanding of the role of diet and exercise, even the way we define the disorder, all are changing radically. And doctors are realizing that millions of adults suffer from this condition, though the vast majority of them remain undiagnosed and untreated. In this new book, Drs. Edward M. Hallowell and John J. Ratey build on the breakthroughs of Driven to Distraction to offer a comprehensive and entirely up-to-date guide to living a successful life with ADD.
As Hallowell and Ratey point out, “attention deficit disorder” is a highly misleading description of an intriguing kind of mind. Original, charismatic, energetic, often brilliant, people with ADD have extraordinary talents and gifts embedded in their highly charged but easily distracted minds. Tailored expressly to ADD learning styles and attention spans, Delivered from Distractionprovides accessible, engaging discussions of every aspect of the condition, from diagnosis to finding the proper treatment regime. Inside you’ll discover:
- whether ADD runs in families
- the links between ADD and other conditions
- how people with ADD can free up their inner talents and strengths
- the new drugs and how they work, and why they’re not for everyone
- sexual problems associated with ADD and how to resolve them
- strategies for dealing with procrastination, clutter, and chronic forgetfulness
ADD is a trait, it only becomes a disorder when it impairs your life. Featuring gripping profiles of patients with ADD who have triumphed, Delivered from Distraction is a wise, loving guide to releasing the positive energy that all people with ADD hold inside. If you have ADD or care about someone who does, this is the book you must read.
©2005 E. Hallowell and J. Ratey; (P)2005 Random House, Inc. Random House Audio, a division of Random House, Inc.